Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Sleep Time

For the past twenty years I struggled with insomnia. It seemed so bad at times that I thought it was a totally hopeless situation, a unique and severe cross God had burdened me to bear. Yes, I had even, in tune with my melancholic tendencies, ascribed to it spiritual and moral implications.

Then, one day, last October, I stopped drinking caffeine after lunch. That night at nine p.m., I fell asleep effortlessly, slept the whole night through, and woke up feeling wonderful. Was it really as simple as that? Was all my complicating it a self-delusion? Were all those years of doubts and questioning through the night in vain? Apparently so. I hadn't had a bad night of sleep since October...

I'm writing about this today because I had my first bad night of sleep last night. I woke with a headache, which is rare for me, and my whole abdomen felt awful. My sister assured me that my niece was over her stomach virus. Well, perhaps not...

No comments:

Post a Comment