Thursday, February 8, 2018

Another look at 'Wintersun'

I've been scanning negatives I got back from the photo lab. I'm finding that the (sometimes) unusual colors from the lab's scans differ from the colors I get. From what I've learned, scanning color negatives is largely a subjective exercise. Since I'm the one who saw the original scenes in person, perhaps I'm the one best equipped to make the subjective choices, if realism is the goal. 

Most striking are the differences in how the lab interpreted my photos of Narcissus 'Wintersun' vs. how I did. In a previous post I wrote about how the colors rendered on film (from the lab's scans) differed from real life colors. Here I show my scans, which are much closer to real life, compared to the lab's scans.

Lab scan

My scan

Lab scan

My scan

Lab scan

My scan

Lab scan

My scan

Lab scan

My scan
As I said, every scan is an interpretation, and I like the aesthetic of the lab's scans. I think they do a lot of weddings, and I kind of get a wedding vibe from their scans. Still my scans have more accurate colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment