Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Daffodil Journal Preview

Today I was looking up how to develop color film at home. Apparently you can get a full setup for under $200 and it takes less than 10 minutes to develop a roll. I may get into that next. The daffodils have been blooming for two weeks and I'm still waiting to get my film back from the lab. :/

Today I took some photos on my phone of daffodils currently blooming, just to get a snapshot of what's going on currently. As I may have said before, I've moved to growing most of my daffodils in terracotta pots. It allows me to control temperatures, lighting, and watering more precisely. It also makes them easy to photograph and easy to move out of the rain (helpful this week, for sure). 

'Abba', a double sport of 'Cragford' (see below). Fragrant. Some flowers had dead tissue. Maybe the humidity?

'Bittern', just opened today. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

'Cragford', fragrant tazetta, sport parent of 'Abba' (see above)

'Grand Primo', a famous heirloom tazetta. The cups started out light yellow, then faded to white. Pollen is dark orange. Fragrant.

I bought this as N. elegans var. intermedius in 2007. I think it was mislabeled, as N. elegans is a fall-bloomer with white flowers. It's probably N. x intermedius, though I'm not sure of that either. In any case, it has tiny flowers: perhaps the smallest of all my daffodils. It hasn't flowered in several years but now it's flowering again.

'Odoratus'. I absolutely love this one. It is my first time growing it. The flowers smell like ripe apricots.

'Princeps', another heirloom daffodil. My first time growing it. The flowers are quite large and nicely fragrant.

I'm pretty sure this is 'Pueblo', but it's one of the daffodils I dug out of the yard last fall. The confusion is why I decided to move to pots. It's like a white 'Trevithian'.

'Trevithian' - well, I've raved a lot about this one on this blog. The ones in pots are way ahead of the ones in the ground, which will flower in a week or two.

This is an unknown daffodil to me. I don't think it bloomed last year, because I don't remember it. I'll have to look at my records to try to find out what it is. It looks like a Jonquilla hybrid.

2 comments:

  1. Blargh, I am super jealous you have things blooming right now. We had freezing rain and ice earlier this week, and schools were even closed. We're supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight, too.

    At least I managed to get a lot of work done this weekend while it was briefly above freezing. I've increased my plot space by 40%. If I didn't have plants popping up under lights already, I might be going crazy. Cup and Saucer vine (Cobaea scandens "Alba"), scented stock, and the first round of snapdragons are coming up. I'll plant more this weekend as we get to the "8 weeks to last frost" point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've got seedlings going! We've had quite the opposite problem. The heat is so high that everything is budding out and daffodils come and go like nothing. I'm afraid we'll have more frosts and everything will be hit back hard. At least the camellias are looking great, instead of the usual brown mush.

      Delete