Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Lotion Recipe

I'm not a huge fan of lotion. I don't like slimy or sticky things on me, or anything that feels heavy. But, my hands and feet dry out a lot, especially in winter or when wearing sandals. For the most part, I've used oils instead of lotion. I now run a drop or two of argan oil through my hair and over my face after a shower. It absorbs quickly. I like coconut oil on my hands and feet. Recently, though, I experienced the wonders of glycerin. My heels were pretty severely cracked, and glycerin softened and smoothed them up in a week. My hands were cracking and peeling, too, after building spray guns at work. Glycerin cured that almost instantly. Another great thing I've come upon lately is squalane, a component of olive oil that has essentially the same properties as squalene, which skin produces naturally. I made a lotion recipe which I quite like. I put it in a little bottle that pumps a small amount at a time.

2 parts rose water glycerin mixture (You can buy this at stores, or alternatively dilute one part pure glycerin with two or three parts water.)
2 parts jojoba oil (a liquid wax)
1 part squalane
A few drops of argan oil or other plant oil

Shake bottle before each use until it forms a milky golden emulsion. Put a small amount in hands and rub together before applying. Allow to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment