Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Absolve Domine

Driving down from Indianapolis to Brookville this Sunday morning, the expanses of straw-colored corn and soy fields and the little two-story white farm houses gave way to steep declines, rocky streams, winding roads, and flame-leaved maples. On a narrow road that jetted out of downtown Brookville and crossed a river, I drove along the valley, finally mounting a hill with an old German church and a spruce-walled graveyard. It was Ss. Philomena and Cecilia Oratory. In an outbuilding the choir was practicing. Two boys stood at the front, opening the doors for parishioners. A tall slim priest sat in the rear confessional, curtain pulled to the side. A few old ladies with their mantilla'd daughters sat quietly with their rosaries. An altar boy scurried from one side of the high altar to the other, lighting two candles as carefully as possible while keeping a reverent distance from the oriental rug at the altar's base.

I came to this place years ago, to see a new place, happy with friends whom I can no longer see, and I came again because I believed I wanted to see that old place where only memories remain. But what I saw was not an old place, but a place that is always new. And I prayed Mass by my friend's little girl, with her cheerful deep brown eyes and her rose-laced veil, whom he was never able to see in this life. Those whispered Latin orations were falling on fresh ears, and my ears freshly, ever old and ever new, as they say. Who would have known back in 2009 that I would be here again seeing these things and feeling what I was now feeling. What a strange and wonderful world this is.

My iPad had only a few songs on it, which I browsed when I ran out of podcasts. One was the tract from the traditional requiem Mass, which I listened to over and over as I drove down those windy roads. And I got the gift of tears.


Absolve, O Lord,
the souls of all the faithful departed
from every bond of sin.
And by the help of Thy grace
may they be enabled to escape the avenging judgment.
And enjoy the bliss of everlasting light.

No comments:

Post a Comment