Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Camphorweed

In Alabama we are at that time of year when the land is filled with all sorts of daisies and asters. Many of them have flowers that look more or less alike. Sometimes it's hard to get them straight. There was one I saw across the road in a ditch that I liked. Using some plant ID websites, I believe I've found it to be camphorweed (Heterotheca subaxillaris). The plant gets its name from the sticky resin that coats the leaves and stems that has the aroma of camphor. I went back out to gather a branch. Sure enough, it was sticky and smelled of camphor. One more wildflower identified!

Camphorweed (Heterotheca subaxillaris)
This was only a stem I cut. The whole plant was covered in blooms with an appearance kind of like a wild mum.
Maybe I'll collect seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment