Monday, November 6, 2017

Garden update

The leaves are changing fast here in Alabama. We've had a few cold mornings but no frost. Two weeks ago I received the daffodils I ordered from Old House Gardens. I planted them all in pots. With the cool weather and rain, the daffodils are sending up leaves already, especially the Tazetta and Jonquilla cultivars. 

I have them growing in my modification of the 5-1-1 mix: five parts Reptibark (fir bark sold for reptile tanks), one part sifted perlite, one part peat-based potting soil. I like this mix because water penetrates it quickly and thoroughly, even when dry, and yet it holds enough water not to need to water every day. Plus, it lasts a long time. When I repotted the daffodils I planted in this mix last year, the mix looked brand new still. A downside of this mix is that it requires more frequent watering and dilute fertilizing at (optimally) every watering. I use a teaspoon of Miracle Gro per gallon and apply it with a sprayer tank.

My rose, 'Mutabilis' is looking fantastic. It's an antique China rose with single, five-petaled flowers. They change in color as they age, from pink to salmon to rose to peach to yellow to almost white. Thus the shrub looks multicolored. The leaves are dark green with tinges of purple or burgundy. I love this rose.

Salvia 'Van Houttei' is also blooming. It's the same species (S. splendens) as the red bedding salvias often seen at malls and shopping centers, but 'Van Houttei' grows 5 feet tall and has purple or burgundy flowers in fall. The flowers are lovely, but the plants look yellow and leggy. I would perhaps cut them back to be more bushy in the future, and provide richer soil so the leaves look more lush.

The Sternbergia lutea sent up leaves, but so far no flowers. I may have to wait until next year for flowers.

My citrus trees are looking great. This year I should have Buddha's hand citrons, Chinotto oranges, and golden bean kumquats. I recently bought a small Australian finger lime tree. It's the oddest citrus I've grown yet. The limes are elongated and green or reddish when ripe. When cut open, the inside contains little translucent spheres that look like caviar. Some chefs sprinkle them on salads. The flavor is like lime, sour and aromatic. I haven't had a fruit on my tree yet, but I tried one when I went to Birmingham a few weeks ago. I also repotted my tree in the 5-1-1 mix.

The daffodil seeds I planted in the spring are germinating now. They look like little grass leaves!

2 comments:

  1. While I was out of town on my retreat we got our first hard frost, so I planted out my daffodils, some lilies, and tulips for the year last weekend as well. It's shaping up to be a normal cool/cold Fall/Winter this year compared to last year, for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read about it on your blog! Looking forward to your planned winter posts.

      Delete