Monday, March 28, 2016

Monk Grown Flowers

Happy Easter! My Benedictine friend who blogs at The Cloister Garden shared some flowers with me that he has grown, part of a new initiative of his. I love his concept and labeling. He sent me three large, healthy-looking canna rhizomes and a packet of celosia seeds, old fashioned flowers that make me think of my great grandmother!

Abbey Flowers
I also took a few other photos this weekend:

'Admiral Semmes' azalea still going strong in dappled sunlight, with blue woodland phlox in the background.
These are flowers of the common pawpaw (Asimina triloba). They smell like the fruit do: sweet/banana/tropical-like.
Fava beans in flower. I will have to try these again another winter. I think with inoculation, mulch, and earlier planting, they could be more prolific. I find the flowers interesting.
Fava bean plants. Good for the soil.
Fava beans (Vicia faba) are not technically beans, but rather a species of vetch. Black-eyed peas and cow peas (Vigna unguiculata) are not technically peas, but beans. It seems gardeners have got their legumes all mixed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment