Wednesday, March 23, 2016

'Admiral Semmes'

The 'Admiral Semmes' azalea I planted a few years ago is blooming now.

Rhododendron 'Admiral Semmes'
It's a native azalea hybrid. Raphael Semmes was a Catholic Confederate naval officer of international fame (or infamy) in the War Between the States. On the CSS Alabama, he captured 65 U.S. merchant vessels and destroyed the USS Hatteras. After the war he settled in Mobile. I made a little "pilgrimage" to his grave in the old Catholic cemetery there a few years ago.

The Narcissus I crossed and grew from seed is flowering also. It was the first plant I crossed and raised myself, and the first time I started bulbs from seed. The flowers are dime-sized, but profuse and very fragrant.

Narcissus "Ross's strain"
Pepper watched me garden.



2 comments:

  1. When they get big enough to divide, I'd love a couple bulbs of "Ross's Strain" to grow out here, assuming they would be hardy out here. Most Narcissus are hardy little guys, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! I also should mention I have "Ross's strain" generation 2 in the works, but as they haven't flowered yet I have no clue how they will appear. As far as hardiness, based on the parents they should be hardy up to zone 5.

      Delete