Thursday, April 5, 2018

Outdoor Adventures

Yesterday, I got off early to run errands in Opelika. Afterward, the sky cleared up, and I loaded Ilford SFX 200 film in my Hasselblad. This is a black and white film with sensitivity extended into the infrared. So, I used my infrared filter and took some photos out at Springvilla.

Infrared photography is still a bit mysterious to me. I have no idea how the photos will turn out. All I kept in mind was that blue skies and reflections of blue skies will look black, and green foliage or reflections of green foliage will appear white. That, and it's not easy to bring invisible light into focus, so I shot at the smallest aperture possible (about f/32).

After Springvilla, I went to Chewacla, and hiked and took photos there until sunset. I was surprised how few people were there on such a fine day. I saw a guy fishing, and another guy sitting pensively at a picnic table overlooking a valley. That was about it.

This morning before work, I waded through Wauxamaka Creek all the way from my uncle's barn until the creek runs into Euphabee Creek. The Euphabee Creek is actually the same creek as Chewacla Creek, only thirty or so miles downstream. I finished my roll of infrared film and sent it off today to be developed.

Here are some (visible light) photos I took at Chewacla recently. All were taken on the same day with Kodak Ektar 100 film.





For this one, I placed the camera on a rock in the middle of the creek, and set the aperture at f/32, allowing for the longer exposure.
I like the Hasselblad, but sometimes I'm not sure how to compose things in square format. I think landscapes lend themselves more to wider formats.

No comments:

Post a Comment