Monday, April 23, 2018

2 Sufjan songs done better than Sufjan

I love the Carrie & Lowell album of Sufjan Stevens, but in my opinion, his aesthetic choice to apply electronic distortions to his voice did a disservice to some of the songs. Here are two covers of songs on that album which I recently found on YouTube. I think they are done better than Sufjan's versions.


"No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross"
The addition of a banjo does wonders for this song, and the first guy's voice is captivating. The harmonies only make it better as the song goes on. Being a song ambiguously about drug addiction, death of a loved one, and Christ's death on the Cross, the country/bluegrass feel just works.


"Eugene"
When I first listened to this one, I didn't even recognize it. It's slower and sweeter than Sufjan's version, and is sung by a youth choir with piano accompaniment. It works for this song, though, because it's a melancholy and sweet song about childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment