Friday, January 12, 2018

Things never seen

On Wednesday I went to my Aunt Sheila's house in Dadeville. Since retiring, she has built a metalworking shop where she makes furniture and ornamental pieces to sell at local stores. She also gave me a tour of her greenhouse, where she's growing succulents in odd, small containers she finds at thrift stores. It was quite a sight. She's going to be selling them at the Pepper Place market in Birmingham this spring.
The reason for my visit was that I knew she had some old family photo albums that I had never seen. I asked her if I could look at them. Instead, she told me to take them all and keep them as long as I wanted. I loved seeing photos I had never seen of people I love. I have about 8 full albums, and there are more at my aunt's house I'll have to look at another time. Here are some of the photos I scanned:

My beautiful grandmother Marjorie and my Uncle Roger

My grandmother and one of my uncles and his cousins

Uncle Roger playing in a cotton field in his diaper (there were a lot of cotton field baby photos)

Uncle Roger (left) and my dad (right)
I love the cow and chickens

Aunt Susie and Uncle Pat
These Auburn sweatshirts are back in style

My dad and a date at a high school dance. You should have seen the love note he (or an impostor) wrote on the back. It was an outrageous confession of his deepest undying love for this girl (whom I've never even heard of). It seemed so over the top that I couldn't tell if it was a joke...but then again, it was high school.
The most tantalizing part about my aunt's photos is that she says she has a box full of uncategorized photos, mostly from England. She tried to find a photo of an English cousin named Patrick who she said looks just like me, but she couldn't find it. Next time, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment