Thursday, January 18, 2018

Long "Lost" Relative

I may have told this story before, but I found a photo today that makes me want to re-tell it. I was at a family gathering a few years ago, and this old man shows up with his wife and takes a seat next to my aunt and starts speaking affectionately to her. He has a strange accent, very Southern, but something different about it. I later found out he was my great uncle, my British grandmother's youngest brother,  Gordon, and he has been living a few miles away in Alabama since the 1940s or 50s. How had I never heard of him or seen him? That shows you how little communication there is sometimes on my dad's side. It's just assumed that everyone knows everything without ever having to tell anyone. In any case, it was great to know my great Uncle Gordon was alive!

Fishing in Panama City, Florida, August 17, 1963
From left to right: (unknown man),  my dad, Uncle Roger, Great Uncle Gordon (I like his socks)

Gordon was left an orphan at the end of World War II. My grandmother found a family in Tuskegee who wanted to adopt him. That's how and why he came to the States.

My grandparents' wedding. Gordon is the smallest child.
The same church in England where my grandparents got married, photographed in the 70s. Life goal: visit this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment