Friday, January 19, 2018

Marjorie

I think, if I were ever blessed with a daughter, I might name her Marjorie after my grandmother. I'm loving learning about her in these photo albums from my aunt. The latest one I've been looking through was a jackpot of information about her early life, and some more photos I'd never seen before. There were also a lot of birth certificates of English relatives going back to the mid-1800s. My grandmother was a McEune, but her mother was a Verinder, and her maternal grandmother was a Smith. I always heard that the McEunes were originally Scottish (McEune is a variant of MacEwan I think), and most of the men were fishermen. It seemed that the Verinders and Smiths were grocers and laborers, based on the birth certificates, which happily listed the father's occupation. The McEunes lived in Grimsby, a coastal shipbuilding city, which makes sense for fishermen.

My great grandparents. Both must have died during World War II
A letter from my great grandfather to his daughter, my grandmother Marjorie, from sea in Norway, maybe during the war.
My grandmother at 18
Another photo of my grandparents' wedding day
My grandmother with her older brother. I think his name was Norman. He gave her away at her wedding, so her father may have been dead by then.
The wedding reception
My grandparents, settled in in Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment