Monday, January 8, 2018

Close in space, far in time

I was scanning more of my dad's slides today. It seemed so strange that I am literally about 300 feet from where many of these photos were taken, and yet they were before my time and totally remote to me.

These are my dad's parents, my English grandmother. This was near the end of her life I think, when she had cancer. She died before I was born. This house is across the way from my office. No one has lived there since my grandfather died in 2007 though.
Christmas, in the same house, early 80s. My dad is wearing the Nike shirt. My mom is in front of the TV. The rest are my aunts, uncles, older cousins, and grandfather.
Aunt Susie. She used to watch me on Saturdays while my dad worked. She died when I was 8. I have no memory of her being this skinny or deformed. She had polio. In all photos of her, she looks sad and never makes eye contact with the camera, yet I remember her as one of the most warm, gentle, and loving people in my childhood. I never cried as much as I did when she died.
My mom shelling peas at my Granny's house near Birmingham. My cousin and my mom's dog Nicholas are with her.
One of my school pictures. Look at that hair. And that Bugle Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment