Friday, April 14, 2017

Sweet Mema

My grandmother, whom I call Mema, is expected to die today. She declined sharply over the past week. After going to Holy Thursday Mass last night, I went by to visit her. She was in a state somewhere between conscious and unconscious. I got to spend a while with her alone. I saw Granny's Bible was in the room, so I opened it and read the passage in John's Gospel where Lazarus dies.

When I saw her on Monday, she was awake. I kept telling her bye, and she kept saying "I love you," and I'd say, "I love you too, Mema." And she'd say it again.

When I saw her last week, she called me by my name and told me she loved me. When I was in the room, she sat up and looked at me intently. This was important for me, because her memory had gotten so bad, but she remembered me.

Please keep her and my family in your prayers. It has especially been hard on my mom and my aunt, who take care of her daily.


6 comments:

  1. What an extraordinary day to pass from this life into the next!

    I will pray for her soul and for your family, Ross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brittany! She ended up passing on Holy Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Know of my prayers. I'll put a note on the board for the community to be praying as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Br. Placidus! She ended up passing on Holy Saturday. Her funeral was yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Dear Ross, know that I will be remembering her soul and you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete