Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Daffodil Season After(?)thoughts

Earlier this week, as I was gathering seeds from many daffodil pods, I was reflecting on the daffodil season and thinking about how it was all ending until next year. I've learned a lot this year. Daffodils in real life are different than daffodils in my head.

For one, in real life, they just come and go. One day they look great, and the next they're gone.

Also, they all come at once for the most part. You go from no daffodils to daffodils of all types everywhere then back to no daffodils.

I didn't keep records as thoroughly this year as I'd hoped. For the most part, my main records are my photos.

So, in this post, I'd like to record some things that my photos didn't capture that I might otherwise forget.


  • Some daffodils, such as N. jonquilla and 'Trevithian', bloom 2-3 weeks earlier when grown in pots.
  • Of the 'Thalia' bulbs I transplanted, none of the ones in pots bloomed, but all the ones I planted in the ground bloomed, even the ones I planted at the last minute.
  • N. jonquilla henriquesii blooms like crazy when pot-bound. When it gets hot, though, it should be moved to afternoon shade.
  • Leucojum does much better in the ground than in pots.
  • I read somewhere that some daffodils such as 'Canaliculatus' which prefer dividing over flowering can be coaxed into flowering by setting the dried bulbs out to bake on concrete through the summer. (I wonder if this applies also to the South, where summer is much hotter than, say, England).
  • The bulbs I planted from Brent & Becky's bloomed a month later than the bulbs acclimatized here. In particular, both 'Carlton' and 'Hillstar' from Brent and Becky's bloomed a month later than the same cultivars in my garden.
  • 'Gigantic Star', 'Barrett Browning', and 'Hillstar' set no seed, even though I pollinated them and expected them to be fertile. Perhaps I pollinated with incompatible cultivars or at the wrong time. Or, the 'Hillstar' is not true 'Hillstar'.
  • 'Prosecco', 'Sweet Love', 'Sun Disc', and 'Brooke Ager' still have not bloomed, nor barely sent up foliage. Will they survive?
  • 'Quail' and 'Kedron' were the most visually-striking of the new daffodils I grew.
  • 'Trevithian' would look better planted more closely together than my  current 3" spacing.
  • I wonder if I could plant daffodils more shallowly than the 6" I did this year to get them to bloom earlier.
  • It's mid-April and Twin Sisters (N. x medioluteus) is just now sending up flower stalks. This means there could still be blooms among all the foliage I saw at Granny's a few weeks ago.
I hope to get photos of a new jonquil, 'Stratosphere', today.

No comments:

Post a Comment