Thursday, April 13, 2017

'Stratosphere' and others

Some more daffodils are blooming. The bearded irises will start soon. Daylilies not far behind. 

First up in my recent photos is 'Stratosphere', a very tall jonquil. It is about as tall as 'Gigantic Star', though with much smaller flowers, smaller than 'Trevithian' or 'Sweetness'. The flowers have a very clean look and are fragrant.

Narcissus 'Stratosphere'
Next up is 'Hillstar', the ones from Brent & Becky's. I did a lot of pollinating with them since they are supposed to be fertile. In daffodil terminology these are considered reverse bicolors, since most bicolor daffodils have a darker cup with lighter petals. Being jonquils, they're fragrant also.

'Hillstar'
I also took photos of some other things.

Byzantine gladiolus (Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus). This is not the heirloom garden form, which has much bigger flowers than this one.

A fleabane I found in the woods. (Erigeron sp.)
Out of the corner of my eye one day I saw a bright orange light in the sky. It was a sunlit cloud behind a shaded cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment