Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Hoop-Petticoat Daffodils

The hoop-petticoat daffodils continue to send up new flowers. They are not quite loaded with flowers as I have seen in some container-grown bulbocodiums (or, bulbocodia, I suppose), but then again they only get part-sun where I have them.

I took some photos of the entire clumps, to give an idea of their overall form. I have them growing in zoysiagrass, which is not ideal either, but the size comparison shows how tiny these things are.

As for fragrance, they aren't as fragrant as jonquils but it's there.

Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus - unopened, opening, and fully-open flowers.

Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus
These will probably always be horticultural curiosities for the collector or connoisseur, rather than a mainstay of gardens. Still, they always charm me in the years that they bloom. I'd love to go to Spain and Morocco and see them in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment