Friday, February 24, 2017

More and More Flowers

The weather has been so unseasonably warm lately; plants are flowering way ahead of schedule. It seems to be happening all across the Southeast, from what I've seen online. I've been posting mostly daffodils, but there are other bulbs (and corms) that are blooming now:

First there are tommies (Crocus tommasinianus). They normally bloom in mid-February here. Wikipedia says this species is native to the Balkans. I don't know of any other plant I grow that is from this region. I think it may have been too hot for these this year. Normally they flower in large bunches, but this year there were only the occasional few like this, which withered away in a matter of a few days:

Crocus tommasinianus
Next there is Iris reticulata, probably the cultivar 'Harmony'. This iris species grows from bulbs, rather than rhizomes, unlike the bearded iris and others. I planted this over ten years ago, and believed they had long since withered away. I guess I was wrong. Wikipedia says this species is native to northern Iran, the Caucasus, and Russia.

Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
Then there is Summer Snowflake (Leucojum aestivum), a relative of daffodils that naturalizes in the South:

Leucojum aestivum
The azaleas are beginning to bloom also. It's incredible.

Next, on to the new daffodils of the week:

As I mentioned earlier this week, the hoop-petticoat daffodil was going to bloom. Well, here it is:

Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus (Hoop-petticoat daffodil)
And, what I've been waiting for, my favorite daffodil, which never ceases to charm me with its sublime form and fragrance: 'Trevithian'.

The ones in the ground aren't blooming yet, but some extra bulbs I put in pots and protected from cold are blooming now.

Narcissus 'Trevithian'

No comments:

Post a Comment