Thursday, February 2, 2017

Campernelles and more

More daffodils are blooming in the woods, in addition to one daffodil blooming in my garden.

First, in the woods. 

Narcissus x odorus, called the Campernelle, is a naturally-occuring hybrid between N. jonquilla and a trumpet daffidil, either N. hispanicus or N. pseudonarcissus. Being a wide hybrid, it is usually sterile, but has hybrid vigor. It naturalizes in the South easily.
Narcissus x odorus (the "Campernelle")
In Macon County the campernelles are a full week or two earlier than in Auburn. I wonder if the microclimate differences are responsible, or if there are different strains involved.

Next up is another photo of the trumpet daffodil I posted the other day. The historic daffodil listserv folks said that it is a 1920s strain of the popular and prolific cultivar 'Carlton'. I'm also growing 'Carlton' in Auburn, which I planted in November although the foliage hasn't even broken ground yet. Again, I wonder if the difference is microclimate/acclimatization or whether the different strains have different bloom times. Maybe a combination of both.
N. 'Carlton'
Next up in the woods, a large cup bicolor daffodil. It looks kind of like 'Ice Follies', but I emailed this photo to the listserv and haven't heard their opinions yet. 'Ice Follies' dates to 1953, so it isn't impossible. I'm not sure when these woodland daffodils were planted or even who planted them.
Large cup Narcissus
This is the same Tazetta daffodil I posted a few days ago. The listserv seems divided over whether this is N. 'Grand Monarque' or N. 'Grand Primo'. Upon my own investigation, it seems these two cultivars have been confused for a long time and may actually be the same thing, though some say 'Grand Monarque' has more irregularly-shaped cups, which seems to be what I have here. Plus, a woman in Atlanta says her 'Grand Monarque' are blooming now but her 'Grand Primo' are not. Whatever they are, I'm happy.
N. 'Grand Monarque' (most likely), or N. 'Grand Primo'
Next up are three photos from my garden. I have to admit I made a gaff and no longer know exactly what this daffodil is. The bulbs are so tiny. It's a Jonquilla-type daffodil, but it is blooming much earlier than the N. jonquilla var. henriquesii or the N. j. 'Simplex'.

Since I have it in a pot, I was able to move it around and play with the lighting.
Narcissus jonquilla - type
Narcissus jonquilla - type
Narcissus jonquilla - type
Which lighting is the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment