Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Hoop Petticoats

I've had a cold for the past few days, but I got out yesterday to stroll around my mom's yard where I planted many of my daffodils (most of them from when I lived there in college or when I came back to Auburn). 

I was surprised to see that the "hoop petticoats" (Narcissus bulbodium subsp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus - a mouthful) are going to bloom this year. They sent up nary a flower last year. I'm beginning to suspect that they are alternate-year bloomers, although it is still strange that all the plants are synchronized. If they are not alternate-year bloomers, perhaps there is some unknown (to me) weather phenomenon that triggers their flowering. In any case, I'm excited, because these little species daffodils apparently set seed well.

Here's a photo from a previous year in which they flowered:

Narcissus bulbodium subsp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus, a.k.a. Hoop Petticoats


No comments:

Post a Comment