Monday, March 6, 2017

What's Blooming

I've had a busy weekend; I cooked collards from the garden and made cornbread for my family. I went to a Communio study group, I caught up on sleep, I went to Mass, and sandwiched in between these, I played the new Legend of Zelda game, Breath of the Wild. It's pretty amazing. I also got out in the garden Saturday afternoon and went for a walk in the arboretum at Auburn University yesterday. I took some photos.

Many daffodils continue to come into flower. The multiflowered 'Silver Chimes' has had its first blossoms open and perfume the air, though the main group has yet to flower.

Narcissus 'Silver Chimes' 8 W-W
"Silver Chimes' is a somewhat complex daffodil hybrid with N. tazetta and N. triandrus ancestry (these are widely-separated species). Daffseek says it was registered before 1914.

'Silver Chimes' close-up
Daffseek also lists this as a late-bloomer. It's crazy that it's the first week of March and all these late flowers are blooming.

Another daffodil which is new for me this year is 'Gigantic Star'. This is an early-to-mid-season large cup daffodil. I suspect it's flowering late because it hasn't acclimated to my climate yet. The blooms on this one are enormous, though the stems are short, which may be another acclimatization issue.

N. 'Gigantic Star' 2 Y-Y
Some more jonquils are blooming. 'Bell Song' is a reliable, fragrant bloomer with white petals and a salmon or yellowish-pink cup.

N. 'Bell Song'
Here are some photos I took in the arboretum:

Rhododendron austrinum, Florida flame azalea
A lovely native azalea hybrid
A Trillium.
More Trillia

No comments:

Post a Comment