Friday, March 10, 2017

My seedling jonquils

The first generation Narcissus jonquilla seedlings I started 8 years ago are in full flower. The second generation hasn't flowered yet. There's something wild, almost weedy about them. I adore it. The fragrance is fantastic, also. I left a pot of them in my truck for a few hours and the fragrance lingered for more than a day afterward. My dad loves them, too. He says they're like the daffodils the old timers used to have before "them big fancy" ones came along.

There is variability in height and bloom time, and some plants have flowers that look more spidery than others. They are genetically diverse, after all, but not too much, since they're siblings.

My N. jonquilla strain from seed.
Lately I've been taking macro photos with a silver foil reflector as a backdrop. I like that it eliminates background distractions, creates a neutral backdrop, as well as reflects ambient light back on the flowers. I think it makes for better lighting and more accurate color-rendition. However, unless the photo is taken really up-close or wide-open, you can clearly see the details of the foil, as in these photos.

My N. jonquilla strain.
A close-up:
My N. jonquilla strain.
Also blooming is Narcissus 'Hillstar', a fertile tetraploid Jonquilla daffodil. Essentially, this means that this daffodil readily pollinates or gets pollinated by the larger modern daffodils, making it very useful in breeding.

Among the 'Hillstar' was a sport with only five petals and more white than usual.

5-petaled 'Hillstar' sport.
Also, I got another shot of 'Gigantic Star'

'Gigantic Star'

No comments:

Post a Comment