Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Pinhole Beauty

I recently got a pinhole camera. It's the Zero Image 2000 handmade in Hong Kong. I haven't shot film in over ten years, and I've never shot 120 film. This camera produces negatives 6x6cm. I haven't figured out where I'll get them developed yet, but at least the local camera store sells 120 film. I saw a youtube video that you can develop film with coffee, lemon juice, and washing soda, but I'm sure the results are not as good this way.

Pinhole camera, loaded and ready for action.
As you may know if you've used or made a pinhole camera before, they do not have a lens. There is only a tiny hole in front of the film which focuses light. This camera has a focal length of 25mm and an aperture of f/138. I took a photo in my apartment with a ten minute exposure. In this field I tried a 5 second exposure. The tricky thing (for me at least) is that there's no exact way of knowing what the camera is seeing, and calculating exposure times is new to me. We'll see how it goes!

Here are some photos I've taken with my digital camera lately. I'll be getting two new filters in the mail this week, so it'll be fun to experiment with them.

A chronochromatic photo I made of Toomer's Corner. The colors represent slices of time (this is a composite of three exposures, mapped to red, green, and blue respectively). Things that appear white represent things that were unmoved. Things that have color represent things that changed.

Another chronochromatic image showing how clouds changed over the course of an hour near sunset. Notice that the lights appear blue. That's because they were only on on the last exposure, which I mapped to the blue channel.

The same barn at Ag Heritage Park, showing natural colors.
jhk
Confederate memorial on Alabama Capitol grounds in Montgomery

Alabama State Capitol one afternoon before a heavy storm
Auburn University Chapel

Lilium michauxii blooming in the woods near my dad's house.
Rhexia virginica blooming by the spring -ed pond at my uncle's


No comments:

Post a Comment