Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Salix

A red postal jeep with the steering wheel on the right side landed in the driveway drawing a trail of gravel dust. The woman handed me a box with three stamps on it: a bleeding heart and two Madonna lilies (Tränendes Herz 100 Deutschland, Madonnenlilie 260 Deutschland). Inside was a glass bottle of the iron/gall-nut-ink in the color "Salix". Salix is Latin for willow.


This kind of ink dates back to the Middle Ages, at least, and was commonly used in manuscripts. It's very long-lasting. I've read good reviews of this ink, and hope to put it to work using my fountain pen again.

2 comments:

  1. I think our Br. Karel uses this kind of ink in his book making enterprise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I'd like to see it sometime. Does he make manuscripts?

      Delete