Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Brown-Eyed Susans

It feels cool out today. I heard that tomorrow morning it will be 55 degrees. I'm looking forward to that! This afternoon I took a walk down the road to the bridge that crosses the little creek. I didn't even break a sweat. I found some brown-eyed Susans blooming in a ditch near the edge of the woods. I picked one and took it back for photos.

Rudbeckia triloba, hand-held shot. I never noticed the orange gradient in the ray flowers before today.

Monochrome with blue light

Color composite

3 comments:

  1. I grew these this year! I have some in the courtyard as well as in the stump garden. They just grow in the ditch there? I didn't know they grew wild. Mine have been covered with Goldenrod Soldier Beetles, which seem to love to drink its nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are several species of Rudbeckia native to Alabama. I'm sure Kansas has them as well, being prairie plants. This species has really small flowers - this one was only 1.25 inches wide. Did you grow a specific cultivar? I haven't noticed any goldenrod soldier beetles here, but I looked up photos. They look kind of like lightning bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I grow are lots of small blooms about that size. They are good for filler flowers in the late-summer early fall bouquets. I've never seen it listed as any specific cultivar, just Rubeckia triloba. I got my seeds over at Johnny's seeds (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/rudbeckia-black-eyed-susan/rudbeckia-triloba-seed-1969.html?cgid=rudbeckia#start=1) It says it is a short-lived perennial, so I plan on moving the ones I have around a bit and seeing if they come back next year.

      Delete