Tuesday, July 18, 2017

150 Psalms

I've never read the Psalms all the way through before, but by this week's end I will have, and I only started last Friday. I'm using a book I got soon after I became Catholic but never used much until now: My Daily Psalm Book, arranged by Father Frey.

The nice thing about this book is that it doesn't matter what time it is or what day of the week: there is always something to pray. Essentially, this is the Roman Breviary from before Vatican II, put in an English translation (from the Vulgate), and stripped of all the antiphons, readings, responsories, and extra prayers. So, this book divides the whole Book of Psalms according to the hours of the day for a seven day cycle.

I have been surprised how little time it takes and how straightforward it all is. I pray the hours aloud and typically do it during times when I might otherwise have checked my email or social media. Here is how I've been doing it:

Matins: right after waking up or (partially, since matins is divided into three parts called nocturns) the night before.

Lauds: immediately after Matins, or after my shower and coffee.

Prime: in my truck before going into the office.

Terce: during my midmorning break.

Sext: at the beginning of lunch break

None: in my truck before I drive home from work.

Vespers: right before dinner.

Compline: after dinner.

Matins (next day): right before bed if praying part of it the night before.


So far, so good. I find myself even getting excited for the next hour to pray. Matins takes the longest. If I pray it with Lauds it takes 25-30 minutes. Prime through None are the shortest. They only take a couple minutes.

I find, having the Psalms on my lips throughout the day, it influences my thoughts and actions. If I lose my temper or sin, and a few hours later I'm asking God to rebuke angry, violent, and sinful men, I immediately repent of what I've done. I find that in the Psalms I'm constantly hearing David complain to God about people like me. Then I tell God that I'm sorry for being that way, that I want to be a better man and be the kind of man praised by the Psalms. Then there are the Psalms of praise and thanksgiving, and they remind me of all God has done for me and all I have to be thankful for, which is easy to forget about in the midst of a busy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment