Wednesday, August 24, 2016

J as in Hieronymus

I was looking for St. Hilary in the multi-volume Fathers of the Church series, and noticed that the volumes go from Gregory to Jerome, and Hilary comes after Jerome. I stood puzzled by this, even looking to see whether the volumes had been improperly shelved. Then I remembered, Jerome in Latin is Hieronymus, which would of course come before Hilary. Still, it seemed odd, since these volumes are all in English. In a nod to this Catholic geekery, I think I will place Jerome among the aitches in my own library.

On a similar note, it's sort of like how in some alphabetical lists of states, Alaska comes before Alabama, and it took me 30 years and my friend Brittany to realize it was because AK comes before AL. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment