Thursday, April 7, 2016

Southern Cornbread

I made some cornbread last night from scratch. I used a Southern-style recipe: no sugar or flour at all in it. The ingredients were stone ground cornmeal, eggs, butter, buttermilk*, baking soda. I heated the oven and melted the butter in a cast iron skillet. Then, after the butter melted I swirled it around the skillet and poured the excess into the batter.

The cornbread separated from the sides of the skillet, but not from the bottom. Thus, it didn't fall out onto a plate when finished. The recipe said this means my skillet is not seasoned well enough (I did that later).

The cornbread was very coarse and gritty, as far as I'm used to, but the corn flavor had so much depth and intensity. It was so savory. It made me really want a bowl of stew, or greens, or black-eyed peas. Mmm. I ended up eating half the loaf last night.


*I didn't buy buttermilk. Instead, I mixed plain yogurt and whole milk at a ratio I read can substitute for buttermilk. Since both store-bought buttermilk and yogurt are cultured with lactic acid bacteria, the result was basically the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment