Sunday, January 3, 2016

Linen Stitch Scarf

I've been wanting to use the linen stitch ever since I first learned how to knit. I love the way it looks. It's kind of a hybrid of knitting and weaving. It's made by alternating knit stitches and slipped stitches, which causes the yarn to pass over and under knit stitches (hence the woven appearance). It's a great way to combine colors.

I learned a new way to do this stitch, which makes it really easy. You only need to work on the front side if you cut the yarn at the end of each row and go back to the beginning with a new end of yarn. This avoids the purl stitches that would have to be worked on the back side, which allows the knitting to go by really fast when using the Continental method. It also allows for a new color on each row, if desired. At the end, there are all these strands of yarn that can be twisted into tassels, as I did.

All rolled up.

It drapes really well. Click to zoom in on textures.
I used two really cheap cotton yarns (Peaches & Cream brand), in a coral color and a variegated green-blue-yellow. The scarf is 190 stitches long. The front and back sides have different textures. Unlike stockinette stitch, it doesn't curl, is less elastic, but holds its shape better. I think this stitch would also make a great blanket. It looks really girly, so I won't be wearing it unless I'm in my truck with boots, a black lab, and a shotgun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment