Sunday, January 24, 2016

Life Update

This weekend I've been taking care of my dad's dogs while he's down in Key West. Actually, he has been gone since Wednesday, and I've been in the office by myself. It was too wet and cold for the other guys to work, so they hung around the shop most of the week, doing odd jobs and stopping in to talk. My dad's dog Fancy did not like me for a long time, but now that I've been feeding her for the past few days, she's starting to warm up to me. Now she follows me at my side wherever I go, and whines when I leave.

I helped host a bonfire at our lake house last night. It was one of the most well-attended young adults group social events we've had so far. We had five Christmas trees to burn. The flames were huge. There were some new faces as well. It was very windy and cold at the lake, though, and the recent rains meant that the water was up higher than normal, making for less space for a fire.

My niece is crawling all over the place now. She even climbs up on things and stands on her own for a second or so before falling. When I left, I kept saying "bye bye" and she kept saying "bye." But my sister assured me she is not using words, that it was just a sound she always makes. Yet, I never noticed her make that sound until I started saying bye.

A couple at my parish invited me over for dinner this weekend. They cooked an amazing chicken stew. Apparently, the key ingredient was anchovies. It had so much flavor. I ended up staying for a long time, in spite of my oppressive shyness. We had a lot in common.

I think I'm getting a cold. I'm over at my mom's house and about to take a nice hot bath with peppermint bath salts and continue my Hopkins reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment