Monday, November 30, 2015

Times of Consolation, Times of Trust

Sometimes it seems as if the very fabric of society is being ripped to shreds, families are falling apart, people have lost compassion for each other, and each person is at war with himself and his neighbor. Truly, as we meditate on these first weeks of Advent, and as skies grow darker earlier, we feel that this world is going to continue to plunge into darkness until the end. So it has been foretold.

This is the time to trust! As dark as our sins - individual and societal - may be, they are not so dark as our distrust. As the voice of Jesus says in St. Faustina's diary (1486): "My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does - that after so many efforts of My love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness."

The other day I was making a list of some times of spiritual consolation in my life, that I might thank God for them, and recall them when I'm tempted to distrust. I noticed a trend, three things: times at Mass or prayer, times at confession or spiritual direction, times in close, spiritual friendship. The best of times involved two or three at once. I think of that last trip to visit Nathan. Thank you, God, for giving that to me. Though it came and went, as all good things on this side of eternity do, it will sustain me in difficult times.

I've developed the habit, recently, of praying for a few minutes at the beginning of the day, when all is quiet and dark, before work. These times have become so consoling also. It is spiritual bread to sustain me all day. Many nights, as I go to bed, I'm anxious for the night to be over so I can get up and spend that time again another day. Thank you, God, for this present gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment