Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Thoughts

On Thanksgiving I wish, first of all, to thank God for giving me life and my parents for saying yes to it. I'm thankful for my family and my friends. I'm thankful for the many blessings and privileges which I have enjoyed in life, knowing full-well that I am not a self-made man. And, though I never would have welcomed them, I am thankful for what the little suffering and grief I've faced in life has taught me, both about myself, that I may be more grateful and humble, and about others, that I may look outside of my interests toward the wellbeing of others.

One thing, though, has especially been on my heart this year, that I am especially thankful for. There is someone who taught me much, and continues to teach me though we are apart. At the time, I did not know I was being taught. I took her presence for granted. But, with every passing day this year, I have looked to her example for wisdom, and her life inspires me to be compassionate to others, and to know myself more deeply. I repent of having taken her for granted.

I think of her and other friends who are no longer with me. What I learn from this is to be grateful today for what I will wish I had been grateful for tomorrow. Because today is passing away forever, and the things we do, or refuse to do, will be forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment