Monday, February 18, 2019

Daffodils 2019

It has been a while. I've been growing and photographic daffodils this year, as always. With the mild weather and rain lately, the daffodils are really coming on.

Not a daffodil, of course, but the autumn-blooming Crocus laevigatus. This was taken on the Fourth Sunday of Advent, the first day it bloomed.

Narcissus 'Sweetness', always the first Jonquilla hybrid to bloom for me. I like the heavy substance to this flower. It never falls over and is impervious to rain.

'Cragford', vibrant red cups.

N. jonquilla var. henriquesii

N. jonquilla var. henriquesii

'Autumn Pearl' - a not-so-autumn bloomer for me. It started in mid-January. Incidentally, 'Wintersun' is always the first daffodil for me. It starts in early December.

'Minor Monarque' - I bought this from Old House Gardens. It didn't bloom last year, but this year every bulb bloomed. Conversely, 'Grand Monarque' bloomed last year but may not bloom this year.

Another shot of N. jonquilla var. henriquesii - the full clump.

'Sweetness' at sunset
N. jonquilla var. henriquesii at sunset

2 comments:

  1. Are these all in a sheltered position or are they blooming at their natural time? Our daffodils won't be blooming until April.

    Winter is holding on with a tight grip on us. We had four inches of snow on Friday and we're supposed to have another round of the same or so come Wednesday! I'm desperate for Spring, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Br. Placidus,

      I'm just now seeing your comment. I guess blogger doesn't notify me anymore. I do have these daffodils sheltered, but we're also having a very mild winter. Even the 'Trevithian' that normally bloom in mid-March have already reached full bloom.

      Delete