Thursday, October 4, 2018

Lycoris radiata

The Lycoris radiata (spider lilies) I repotted a month or so ago are blooming now. I didn't water them at all until two weeks ago. After watering them, within days the shoots were out of the ground and headed skyward. Unfortunately, my Lycoris aurea is not behaving in like manner. There isn't a sign of life with them other than fleshy roots.

Yesterday, I took some photos of them on Kodak Portra 400 film and developed it last night. Now that I can develop my own film, the whole process from taking the photo to having scans takes less than a day. When I sent my film away it would take two weeks, plus I'd have to save up enough rolls to make the shipping worth it. There is something exhilarating about sending film away and getting it back two weeks later, wondering the whole time how it will turn out. Yet, there is something equally exhilarating about pulling a wet roll of film out of a developing tank and seeing the images for the first time. Both are rewarding. The latter option is more work, but a lot cheaper.

Spider lilies unfurling Monday. Fomapan 100 film developed in Diafine.
Spider lilies in the fading sunlight




I lit this scene with an incandescent grow light.


Incandescent bulbs are really yellow, as readily seen when taking photos on daylight-balanced film.

My favorite

4 comments:

  1. I was just looking at Lycoris the other day. I don't remember coming across how hardy are they. I do remember my grandmother having them at their house right on the Mississippi Sound. Doubt they do too well here then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out bulbmeister.com. He has a large variety. The winter foliage Lycoris probably won't be hardy where you are, but there are spring foliage Lycoris that do well further north but don't do well in the South. Lycoris squamigera comes to mind. You might like to grow it.

      Delete
    2. You're in zone 6, right? Bulbmeister.com lists Lycoris radiata var. radiata as hardy in zone 6. Especially with your courtyard microclimate, you might be able to pull it off. Still, Lycoris squamigera is so large and beautiful, and does well further north, you might rather have it anyway.

      Delete
    3. We're right on the border of 5/6, so it might be worth trying at least in a sheltered location!

      Delete