Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Savannah

This weekend I went to Savannah with my family for my birthday. My sister found us an apartment a few blocks south of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and Flannery O'Connor's childhood home (LaFayette Square). Savannah is so different from what I think of as Georgia. I suppose my childhood memories of Georgia were all of Atlanta, Columbus, and that vast expanse of nothingness on the way to Disney World. Savannah seems like a whole different universe, although a one with Spanish moss, enormous live oaks, and Southern accents everywhere. I keep wondering why Southerners had invaded this old coastal city, but then I remember that we (in part) get our Southern-ness from this old coastal city. 

I didn't take many photos of the city itself. We visited Tybee Island on the first day and Hilton Head Island (South Carolina) on the last day. I took photos on Tybee Island near the lighthouse.

Tybee Island lighthouse


View from the lighthouse of Tybee Island

One of the houses next to the lighthouse as seen from the top of the lighthouse

Public beach on Tybee Island and a ship coming out of the Savannah River

The view towards South Carolina

Tybee Island lighthouse as seen from the public beach.

A view of Savannah from atop a parking deck (facing southeast)

No comments:

Post a Comment