Wednesday, January 4, 2017

St. Vincent de Paul Parish

Yesterday in my lunch hour I stopped by St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Tallassee, Alabama. It was built with the help of one Catholic convert member of an influential Alabama family, the Blounts, who converted after hearing then-Monsignor Fulton Sheen preaching on the radio. Sheen was present at the dedication of the church, as I wrote about on my blog sometime before.

Even though the church is small and simple, there is something about it that draws me and makes me feel that I am at a sacred, significant space. There are much larger and more expensive churches in the area that have less an effect. I think it's the prettiest Catholic church in the Auburn area. 

I had only my telephoto lens with me so I couldn't get far enough away to capture the whole building.


I love seeing Italian cypresses in Alabama. Much better than the Leyland cypress.

St. Vincent de Paul. This parish is now staffed with a diocesan priest, but was once a Vincentian mission parish like many churches in the area.
Door detail.
Monochrome treatment.
My uncle's horses back at the shop.

1 comment: