Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Late Bloomers

Some perennials wait until the end to bloom. Such are Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonurus) and Salvia 'Anthony Parker'. All summer long these two gradually grow to become 3-to-5-foot leafy balls, and then in September explode in flower.

Lion's tail is a member of the mint family from Africa. It is naturally pollinated by the African equivalent of hummingbirds, which I believe are called sunbirds. Our hummingbirds want nothing to do with them, however, though butterflies love them. I've read before that lion's tail can be smoked and it's like a milder form of cannabis, though I have no intention of trying.

Lion's tail (Leonotis leonurus)

I love when the sun back-lights these.
Salvia 'Anthony Parker' is a hybrid between pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) and Mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha). This is my first year growing it, so I'm unsure how it will survive winter. However, both parents (which are also excellent fall-blooming sages) survive most winters here, so I'm confident in 'Anthony Parker'. The flowers are most vibrant in morning, withering somewhat in the heat of the day. Bumblebees love it and often sleep on it overnight. Unlike pineapple sage, the leaves have no fragrance.

Salvia 'Anthony Parker', Salvia greggii in background

I found a velvet ant crossing a gravel path. When I was a kid, velvet ants were my favorite insects. They aren't actually ants, but a kind of wasp, and the females have no wings. They walk very fast and supposedly have painful stings.



No comments:

Post a Comment